Re: [ANNOUNCE] Revamp'd Web Site...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Revamp'd Web Site...
Date: 1998-07-23 00:37:30
Lists: pgsql-general

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> I just did a relatively major cleanup of the WWW site, and am
> looking for feedback.

Here's mine: frames suck.

The front page now comes up completely blank in a non-frames-savvy
browser. That's unfriendly; you should at least have a NOFRAMES section.

More generally, though, frames lose for any number of reasons:
you can't bookmark a frameset, the "back" button typically doesn't
behave intuitively, etc. etc. For example, I had a link on my
personal home pages to the "search PostgreSQL mailing lists" page,
because I used that quite a lot. It doesn't work right anymore,
or at least doesn't bring me to the same display I get by going
through the "front door".

The old design seemed to be trying to emulate the look of a framed site
without actually using frames, which was not really such a bad thing.
The site *worked* quite well, except for some extra download time.
I think the new setup is less usable.

I'm not volunteering to redesign it again however :-(. I'm not
a competent web designer.