Re: ODBC FAQ

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "Julia A(dot)Case" <julie(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, patrice(at)idf(dot)net, pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC FAQ
Date: 1998-04-20 17:21:50
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, David Hartwig wrote:
>
> > I am still a bit confused as to how this is doing down.  How are the FAQ's
> > going to be up date?
> >
> > Will the ODBC FAQ be distributed exclusively with with the backend?  I
> > agree that there should not be different FAQs spread all over the
> > internet.  I would like to see one, though, that can be kept up to date
> > on the web.
>
>         My preference with the ODBC drivers is to go the same route as the
> JDBC drivers...integrate the docs/FAQs into the "Document Project" so that
> its a "one stop shopping" sort of arrangement...

This seems somewhat reasonable except for one thing.   How do I maintain a static
document of frequently asked questions if most of the questions are just starting
to ba asked?

>         Hell, if its going to come to a "I want to do this, and I want to
> do that" sort of war amongst two groups that are trying to focus on one
> goal (which I'm *trying* to avoid), why don't you both create a mirror the
> WWW site at www.postgresql.org, and help integrate everything in one
> place?  It makes a helluva lot more sense then pointing ppl at different
> locations to find information...
>
>         If the one at MageNet is sooooo out of date, can you please point
> Patrice at something newer to work on so that he can get it integrated
> into our document tree?

I sense edginess here.   I merely stated a fact and offered to correct situation
over the weekend.   I cannot help it, if you are uninformed as to the validity of
the older FAQ.   I guess I should keep my mouth shut.

>         As far as *that* is concerned, I've seen at least two postings
> from Byronn about fixes/improvements for the drivers, but have yet to see
> a patch posted to have it integrated into the main distribution/source
> tree.  The source tree *is* a moving target...putting in changing source
> code is acceptable, as it means that the weekly snapshot that gets built
> will have the newest ODBC source code in it...
>
>         Is this too much to be asking?

No it is not.   We just haven't gotten or act together yet.  They WERE
forthcoming.