Configuration & libpgtcl.so problems in PostgreSQL 6.3.2 on Linux

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Questions <pgsql-questions(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Configuration & libpgtcl.so problems in PostgreSQL 6.3.2 on Linux
Date: 1998-04-20 15:00:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello all,

I have downloaded today 6.3.2 and try to compile it.

I have a RedHat 4.2 i386 Linux on a Pentium 200 MMX machine. On the same
system, 6.3 and 6.3.1 have been compiled without errors.

When I tried to compile now PostgreSQL 6.3.2 I got the following errors
:

1. I was logged in as a normal user then su to root. I ran ./configure
and then gmake. He said that I am not running GNUmake and he wants me to
find it !!?!!? I succeed passing this one by logging in directly as root
and running again ./configure

2. The compilation was fine, I delete the old binaries and install the
new one. Tried my databases with psql, everything was fine. I tried to
run PgAccess and it fails. Looking into interfaces/libpgtcl/ I have
discovered that libpgtcl.so has not been generated. Also in
interfaces/libpq was missing libpq.so. I tried to make them by hand (ld
-shared -L../../interfaces/libpq -lpq -o libpgtcl.so pgtcl.o pgtclCmds.o
pgtclId.o) and then copy libpgtcl.so into my /lib directory. I made the
same thing for libpq in order to get libpq.so.

When I run PgAccess, there are a lot of errors :

wish: can't resolve symbol 'PQexec'
wish: can't resolve symbol 'PQclear'
wish: can't resolve symbol 'PQfinish'
couldn't load file "libpgtcl.so": Unable to resolve symbol

I took a look to Makefile.global and I noticed that there isn't defined
there the symbol LINUX_ELF.

Could you give me some help please ?

--
Constantin Teodorescu