Re: UUID/GUID information

From: David Busby <Busby(at)pnts(dot)com>
To: 'Postgres-PHP' <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UUID/GUID information
Date: 2002-05-30 20:05:29
Lists: pgsql-php

Dear List,
Thank you for the prompt responses...I read the MAN on OID and also
on SERIAL...the benefit of using the MS-UUID is that the identifier created
is guarenteed to be unique in spacetime. OID and SERIAL are not...they are
only guarenteed to be unique in a database.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm building a multi-database solution
(20+ databases) in which all 20+ DBs must use the same identifier across
databases for some objects (ex: Automobile Brands) but their own identifier
for their own data (ex: Accouts/Clients) this way when the child database
publish to the master there is no possiblity of some object having the same
identifer as another...and the object identifier can stay the same across
all 20+ DBs.

The GUID from Micro$oft is formatted like
{01234567-89AB-CDEF-0123-456789ABCDEF} it represents a 16 byte number that
is again unique in spacetime. Is there PostgreSQL solution for something
like that or will I have to come up with my own.

/B