Re: [DOCS] Reference Manual

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Jose' Soares Da Silva" <sferac(at)proxy(dot)bazzanese(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Reference Manual
Date: 1998-03-30 16:17:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm writing Reference Manual and I have two questions:
>
> 1 - Why PostgreSQL accept HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND to extract if from a
> date ?
> EXTRACT (field FROM date_expression)
> There are no such fields on a date!

And it returns zeros for those fields. I think that is OK; it makes for
a symmetric implementation...

> - TIMEZONE_HOUR
> - TIMEZONE_MINUTE

Hmm. Don't do these yet. But:

tgl=> select date_part('timezone', 'now');
date_part
---------
-7200
(1 row)

so the underlying implementation does know about timezones. It may only
need a parser adjustment. Will look at it...

- Tom