Re: [QUESTIONS] Using % in a query

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] Using % in a query
Date: 1998-03-27 02:47:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Gee, I saw I put the file on my postgresql account, but probably
> forgot to install it.  Sorry.  Would have been nice to get it into
> 6.3.1 too.

Well, I had mixed feelings about that anyway, since it hadn't been field
tested. I'll apply it along with the type conversion mods I'm working
on. btw, I already have working code for automatic conversions of
function arguments, moving on to operators next. Examples follow...

                        - Tom

-- this input is automatically converted to float8...
postgres=> select dsqrt(2);
          dsqrt
---------------
1.4142135623731
(1 row)

-- allow unknown types to convert to text type
-- this addresses the annoying MySQL context-free test cases
postgres=> select 'abc' || 'def';
--------
abcdef
(1 row)

-- this function is massively overloaded, but we automatically choose
-- the "datetime" type for evaluation...
postgres=> select date_part('year', 'now');
date_part
---------
     1998
(1 row)

Oh, I stumbled across a declaration problem in dpow() while testing :-/