Re: Undocumented Postgres error: "failed to fetch old tuple for AFTER trigger"

From: Lennin Caro <lennin(dot)caro(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert James <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Undocumented Postgres error: "failed to fetch old tuple for AFTER trigger"
Date: 2008-06-26 21:29:39
Lists: pgsql-general
the table o tables have triggers?
try to use  COMMIT

From: Robert James <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Postgres General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 8:28 PM

I'm running a very large series of commands - mainly DDL but some DML as well - in a large transaction.  I get the following error, which doesn't seem to be documented:

"ERROR:  failed to fetch old tuple for AFTER trigger

: COMMIT"

There are no triggers that I'm aware of.  I've gotten this error when running the transaction on two different instances of the database.  I also did a VACUUM FULL, which didn't help.

Breaking down the commands into a series of about 7 smaller transactions works fine.  Each transaction runs totally fine by itself.  But, when I run them all in one giant transaction, I get errors.

I'm running Postgres 8.2.1 on Windows XP.  If anyone can help, I'd be very greatful.