More JDBC questions in 6.3

From: "Schlough, Mark" <Mark(dot)Schlough(at)nmb(dot)norwest(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, java-linux-help(at)java(dot)blackdown(dot)org, petermount(at)earthling(dot)net, pmount(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: More JDBC questions in 6.3
Date: 1998-03-06 15:37:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thanks to everyone who gave me the

postmaster -i

command. It worked, and accepted commands! :-)

---------my other questions----------------

I am using the book "JDBC Database Access with Java" and after
using
some of the examples, (available for download from
http://www.javasoft.com/products/jdbc/book.html) I run into
problems.
I'm wondering if these methods are supported by the driver:

The questions so far seem to deal with ResultSetMetaData

I am having trouble getting it to return the datatypes, such as
VARCHAR, INTEGER, FLOAT,....

code snip ----- 8-< ----

ResultSetMetaData rsmd

int columns = rsmd.getColumnCount();
for (int i = 1; i<= columns; i++) {

int jdbcType = rsmd.getColumnType(i)
String name = rsmd.getColumnTypeName(i)
System.out.print("Column "+1+" is JDBC type " + jdbcType);
System.out.print(", which the DBMS calls " + name);
}

code snip ----- 8-< ----

the code runs, but I get results like:

Column 1 is JDBC type 12. which the DBMS calls null
Column 2 is JDBC type 4. which the DBMS calls null
Column 3 is JDBC type 8. which the DBMS calls null
Column 4 is JDBC type 4. which the DBMS calls null

does anyone know if these ResultSetMetaData methods that look at
the
datatypes are supposed to work, or are they not implemented?

If they are supposed to work, could someone help me figure out what
am missing.

Thanks in advance

Mark