More JDBC questions in 6.3

From: "Schlough, Mark" <Mark(dot)Schlough(at)nmb(dot)norwest(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, java-linux-help(at)java(dot)blackdown(dot)org, petermount(at)earthling(dot)net, pmount(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: More JDBC questions in 6.3
Date: 1998-03-06 15:37:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
     Thanks to everyone who gave me the

     postmaster -i

     command.  It worked, and accepted commands! :-)

     ---------my other questions----------------

     I am using the book "JDBC Database Access with Java" and after
using
     some of the examples, (available for download from
     http://www.javasoft.com/products/jdbc/book.html) I run into
problems.
     I'm wondering if these methods are supported by the driver:

     The questions so far seem to deal with ResultSetMetaData

     I am having trouble getting it to return the datatypes, such as
     VARCHAR, INTEGER, FLOAT,....

     code snip ----- 8-<   ----

     ResultSetMetaData rsmd

     int columns = rsmd.getColumnCount();
     for (int i = 1; i<= columns; i++) {

     int jdbcType = rsmd.getColumnType(i)
     String name = rsmd.getColumnTypeName(i)
     System.out.print("Column "+1+" is JDBC type " + jdbcType);
     System.out.print(", which the DBMS calls " + name);
     }

     code snip ----- 8-<   ----

     the code runs, but I get results like:

     Column 1 is JDBC type 12. which the DBMS calls null
     Column 2 is JDBC type 4. which the DBMS calls null
     Column 3 is JDBC type 8. which the DBMS calls null
     Column 4 is JDBC type 4. which the DBMS calls null

     does anyone know if these ResultSetMetaData methods that look at
the
     datatypes are supposed to work, or are they not implemented?

     If they are supposed to work, could someone help me figure out what
     am missing.

     Thanks in advance

     Mark

pgsql-interfaces by date