Re: SSL configure patch: review

From: "Alex Hunsaker" <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Abhijit Menon-Sen" <ams(at)oryx(dot)com>, pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: SSL configure patch: review
Date: 2008-11-21 05:07:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 13:31, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Something that's bothering me is that PGSSLKEY is inconsistent with the
> sslkey conninfo parameter. PGSSLKEY specifies an engine (basically a
> driver for specialized hardware AFAICT) from which the key is to be
> loaded, but sslkey is a simple filename. This means that there's no way
> to load a key from hardware if you want to specify it per connection.
> Not that I have any such hardware, but it looks bogus.
>
> Obviously one still wants to be able to specify a different file name
> from the default; I tried to see if there's any way to load an engine
> that would load the key from a file, but could not extract any sense
> from the man page:
> http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/engine.html
>
> Maybe this means that we should provide separate parameters, say
> "sslkey" and "sslkeyfile", and a new env var PGSSLKEYFILE.
>
> Thoughts? Am I overengineering this stuff?

I think the patch as it stands is ok for now (mainly because I don't
have any hardware either so I can't test or attest to how it should be
done i.e. if those params would be enough)

Should PGROOTCERT be PGSSLROOTCERT to be more congruent with all the
other ssl params?

Find attached an updated patch against HEAD (no other changes). I
also gave it a look over and tested it to make sure it worked as
described.

Attachment Content-Type Size
ssl-new-params-3.patch text/x-patch 8.9 KB