Re: Client certificate authentication

From: "Alex Hunsaker" <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "PG Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Client certificate authentication
Date: 2008-11-16 00:00:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 05:31, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> Attached patch implements client certificate authentication.
>
> I kept this sitting in my tree without sending it in before the
> commitfest because it is entirely dependent on the
> not-yet-reviewed-and-applied patch for how to configure client
> certificate requesting. But now that I learned how to do it right in
> git, breaking it out was very easy :-) Good learning experience.
>
> Anyway. Here it is. Builds on top of the "clientcert option for pg_hba"
> patch already on the list.

Patch looks good to me and works as described.

Would cncert be a better auth_method name? As later we might have
different types of ssl client cert authentication??

My only concern is there is no way to specify the USER_CERT_FILE for
libpq. So if for example I have two users that I want to use cert
authentication for I really have to have to users on the system (or i
guess maybe you could fake HOME=... psql -U other_user). Or am I
missing a way around this? (granted this might be a non-issue for now
as you can use trust clientcert=1 in pg_hba.conf with your other
patch?)