Re: [HACKERS] text should be a blob field

From: Goran Thyni <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] text should be a blob field
Date: 1998-03-03 16:28:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > make text a blob datatype (maybe storing <= 8k row with tuple, >=8k in blob
> > tablespace)
>
> Hmmm.

I know Informix has 2 BLOB-types "text" and "binary"
but I do not think we should change the meaning of keyword "text" too
much.

An idea to think about:
if text fits within a tuple make it varchar-alias (as it works now)
if text is larger make it a blob.

Or simply call text-BLOBs "textblob" of something like that.
What does SQL-92 say about BLOBs anyway?

regards,
Göran Thyni, sysadm, JMS Bildbasen, Kiruna