Re: [HACKERS] doc troubles.

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Darren King <darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] doc troubles.
Date: 1998-03-03 03:28:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > > What version of tar understands how to ungzip a .gz file?
> > >
> > > Is this what the 'z' flag is for?
> >
> >       gnu tar supports the 'z' flag to uncompress and untar at the same
> > time...
>
> This sucks.  As a group that seems to not like GNU (or at least their
> license), we require enough of their tools to compile/install postgres.
>
> Off to see the wizard at the gnu ftp site...

Quit whining and send in some patches :) I hacked those makefiles at the end
of a 10 hour push to get the docs wrapped up. The best thing that could be
said for them is that they seemed to work on my machine (and I guess on
postgresql.org now that I think about it).

Could we just replace the "tar zxf" with "uncompress ... | tar xf"? Does
anyone else have a strong opinion on (or experience with) makefiles for the
postgres distribution who want to help Darren get out from under the gnu
usage??

                                                   - Tom