Re: [QUESTIONS] varchar vs text

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel(dot)Brickley(at)Bristol(dot)ac(dot)uk, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] varchar vs text
Date: 1998-03-01 21:32:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > In v6.3, indices are supported with use of ~ and LIKE operators.
> > An unofficial patch for v6.2 is also available to do this.
> >
> > Hopefully, the developers will have remembered to change the documentation
> > as well.
>
> Do you have a suggestion on where to put such a mention?

This should be in release notes in the hardcopy/html documentation. I'd like to
work on integrating these soon after v6.3 is released, and then do updates
there. That way, there will be a place for people to keep track of significant
changes and improvements which would affect a user.

Much of the new docs which is release-specific is like to old docs. Ugly, but I
simply didn't have enough time to rewrite _all_ 200 pages :)