Re: [QUESTIONS] 6.2.1 COPY X FROM stdin; -- broken pipe

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Cristian Gafton <gafton(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: roberts(at)panix(dot)com, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] 6.2.1 COPY X FROM stdin; -- broken pipe
Date: 1998-02-28 03:02:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> oe> Try setting the environment variable LANG before starting the
> oe> postmaster:
> oe> $ export LANG=en_US
> Unfortunately, this doesn't prevent the backend problem; the backend
> still complains about the money format the and front-end gets a broken
> pipe. Not sure what about the locale postgres doesn't like. For now,
> I guess I'll just stick with my home-built version that doesn't use
> the locale at all.

I tried this at my clean RH5.0 machine at work, with the RH5.0 rpm
installation of Postgres. It didn't help, and I guess I would have been
suprised if it did since the locale environment should have defaulted to
the "C" (same as "POSIX"?) conventions. I didn't get a backend crash,
just the usual symptom.

Didn't find a new Postgres package in Cristian's directory when I looked
this morning, but _did_ find a glibc2.0.7-2. Unfortunately it didn't seem
to fix the rounding problem in date/time. I stopped and restarted the
Postgres backend, but did not reboot the machine; was that sufficient?
Seems like 2.0.7-2 should have the features (and fixes) Oliver reported
for Debian, so don't know the story :(

My little test program, which also fails on my RH4.2 system, is included
below. It should return some characters related to locale; in this
version it tries the numeric decimal point (which does print) and the
money decimal point, which doesn't. Used to work, though as I mentioned
the code as it is currently may be damaged by my trial and error attempts
to get locale support working.

- Tom

Attachment Content-Type Size
testlocale.c text/plain 372 bytes