Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [QUESTIONS] Connect to Postgres with pure TCL

From: Paolo Cacciatori <paolo(at)nova(dot)it>
To: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [QUESTIONS] Connect to Postgres with pure TCL
Date: 1998-01-13 15:32:36
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Constantin Teodorescu wrote:

> Herouth Maoz wrote:
> >
> > However, your way would be much more logical, though I suspect a
> > performance degredation if all the connections are done in the
> interpreted
> > language itself.
>
> I don't think so.
> SQL conversation mean some small messages for establishing protocol
> then
> sending the SQL command and after that receiving data. The most part
> of
> the time is taken by data transferring over the network. I would bet
> on
> a maximum 5% performance degrading.
>
> Tcl/Tk 8.0 would be the only version that could deal with binary i/o
> over files and sockets.
>
> In my opinion, it wouldn't be so hard to rewrite pg interface directly
>
> in Tcl.
> I would study that posibility and keep you informed.

Thanks.

In the meantime I've done some test with Tcl/Tk 8.0 and I was able to
make a connection and send a simple query over it. The hard part is
extracting the data from the result.

If you are interested I can send the rude code of my test, but I'm
working with Tcl only from a week ....

Paolo Cacciatori paolo(at)plavis(dot)com