Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [QUESTIONS] Connect to Postgres with pure TCL

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [QUESTIONS] Connect to Postgres with pure TCL
Date: 1998-01-13 12:44:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Herouth Maoz wrote:

> However, your way would be much more logical, though I suspect a
> performance degredation if all the connections are done in the interpreted
> language itself.

I don't think so.
SQL conversation mean some small messages for establishing protocol then
sending the SQL command and after that receiving data. The most part of
the time is taken by data transferring over the network. I would bet on
a maximum 5% performance degrading.

Tcl/Tk 8.0 would be the only version that could deal with binary i/o
over files and sockets.

In my opinion, it wouldn't be so hard to rewrite pg interface directly
in Tcl.
I would study that posibility and keep you informed.

--
Constantin Teodorescu
FLEX Consulting Braila, ROMANIA