Re: pgaccess 0.72

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: Dave Bodenstab <imdave(at)mcs(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgaccess 0.72
Date: 1998-01-10 08:18:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Dave Bodenstab wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried pgaccess. It's very nice -- I'm looking forward to trying
> a later version. It looks like you're still working on it, so I've
> got some observations and questions.

Latest version 0.74 , Monday it will be available 0.75 but only 'Report
builder' has been enhanced.

> I use 100 dpi fonts, and I found that things don't display properly.
> I had to change (in a lot of places) all the fonts from ...-120-*-*...
> to ...-120-75-75-... but now everything is small and difficult to read.
> Perhaps you could have a font preferences section, or even better,
> compute the height/width of the labels based on the font.

Very difficult !!!

> It would also be nice if for ``database open'', if there was a menu
> of all the existing databases. Sort of like the ``\l'' command
> for psql.

I will take into account the suggestion !

> For the table viewer:
>
> It would also be nice if arrays were formatted somehow without the "'s --
> perhaps something like (c-style): [1] value...
> [2] value...
> [3] (empty)
> [4] value...

I will think about it!!!

> The ``sort field'' and ``filter contidions'' areas are a little
> small... perhaps the visual query designer is intended to be used
> for more complicated queries...

Yes.

> I always get a row with all *'s at the bottom of a table. Is this
> correct?

Yes, it's the 'new row' placement. If you will try to edit '*' that
means adding a new record.

> The visual query designer looks very nice. Are you planning any
> documentation on how to use it effectively?

Yes.

> What is the ``add table'' button supposed to do for the visual
> designer? Is it just an alternate way of hitting c/r after typing
> the table name? Why not just pre-load all of the tables in a
> database?

In 0.74 version there is a drop-down list for picking up tables.

--
Constantin Teodorescu
FLEX Consulting Braila, ROMANIA