Re: [QUESTIONS] pgaccess (libpgtcl) on Solaris?

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se>
To: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>, PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] pgaccess (libpgtcl) on Solaris?
Date: 1998-01-07 19:16:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hello Constantin! was not found, indeed! It wasn't even created. sic! I am sorry
to have wasted your time. I just had libpq.a, and didn't realize this,
just saw the name libpq... =-|

Apparently, the Solaris port of Postgres doesn't create any shared
libraries by default, only libxxx.a files. Same for Tcl and Tk by the
way: they both require '--enable-shared' to create *.so. This I did
right away, and the same for libpgtcl. But as I said, I missed fixing
for the libpq.

Editing of postgres Makefiles for libtcl AND libpq adding same ld
parameters as for x86-solaris did the trick:

ifeq ($(PORTNAME), sparc_solaris)
  install-shlib-dep := install-shlib
  shlib :=
  LDFLAGS_SL = -G -z text

ifeq ($(PORTNAME), sparc_solaris)
  ifeq ($(CC), gcc)
    CFLAGS += -fpic -fPIC
    shlib             :=
    install-shlib-dep := install-shlib
    LDFLAGS           += -L $(SRCDIR)/interfaces/libpq -lpq

If somebody with more experience in making shared libraries on Solaris
wan't to comment and/or change some of the LDFLAGS, please feel free to
do so. Tcl/Tk needs shared libaries, and won't settle for static (*.a),

I also got the recommendation to use pgtksh instead of wish, but as I
don't know where to get pgtksh, I haven't tried this. PgAccess works
now, and I'm happy for it  :-)  Thanks!