Re: First steps with 8.3 and autovacuum launcher

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First steps with 8.3 and autovacuum launcher
Date: 2007-10-04 18:42:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I am totally uninclined to mess with this stuff.  I am barely aware of
> what exactly is it doing; I don't have the slightest idea how to modify
> it to cancel autovacs.  Furthermore it sounds very much like a layering
> violation (what is deadlock.c doing with autovac processes anyway).

I think any fix for this at all is going to qualify as a layering
violation, so I'm not sure that that objection has merit.  I hear you on
the first point though.  I used to know how the deadlock checker worked,
let me see if I can swap that knowledge back in.

This change isn't going to make beta1 anyway ...