Noob question: how to auto-increment index field on INSERT?

From: Ken MacDonald <drken567(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Noob question: how to auto-increment index field on INSERT?
Date: 2009-11-19 16:55:49
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,
I have a PostgreSQL DB created by a Django model, with a field 'id' that is
automatically created by Django as a primary key, type integer.

I would like to create a new row by doing something like....

INSERT INTO table (a, b, c, d) VALUES ('aa', 'bb', 'cc', 'dd')

where I've been hoping that 'id' would get the next value of id available.
Unfortunately, instead I get a 'duplicate primary key' error saying that
'id' is a duplicate, even though I'm not specifying it explicitly in the
INSERT. What is the proper way to auto-increment a primary key?
Thanks!
Ken

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Thomas KellererDate: 2009-11-19 17:06:50
Subject: Re: Using file data as argument to functions called from psql command line