Re: Spurious errors relating to escaped single quotes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Spurious errors relating to escaped single quotes
Date: 2011-07-15 17:21:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz> writes:
> On 15/07/11 11:25, Gavin Flower wrote:
>> I think it should be possible to put a constraint on the master table
>> to prevent rows being inserted.

> Of course, minutes after I sent the above - I realized these constraints
> are inherited, so the above is nonsense!  :-(

Yeah.  I think there's been some discussion of inventing a non-inherited
variety of check constraint, so that you could put something like
"CHECK (false) NO INHERIT" on the parent table.  There's not really
consensus for this though.

IMO we'd be better advised to spend our time on building an explicit
partitioning mechanism to handle the common cases more simply and
efficiently, instead of continuing to add frammishes to the inheritance