Window-functions patch handling of aggregates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: "Hitoshi Harada" <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Window-functions patch handling of aggregates
Date: 2008-12-24 03:20:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The window functions patch is laboring under the delusion that it can
call an aggregate's final function and then go back to invoking the
transfn some more on the same data. This is merest fantasy :-(

regression=# select array_agg(q1) over(order by q1) from int8_tbl;
before or while processing the request.

Unless we want to move the goalposts on what an aggregate is allowed
to do internally, we're going to have to change this to re-aggregate
repeatedly. Neither prospect is appetizing in the least.