Public and Grants

From: Michael Gould <mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Public and Grants
Date: 2009-11-28 20:04:21
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a database with a schema called ISS. This is where all of our
application defintions are stored. We did add 2 contribute modules (citext)
and guid generator and both of these by default went to the public schema.
It is our intent to not allow any access to public by our users.

A few questions

1. Can I reinstall the contrib modules in the ISS schema only or do they
need to be in the public schema

2. If they need to stay in the public schema and I don't want to give any
insert, update, delete or select access to public, can I revoke those
privileges and just give execute on the functions that were added by the
contrib module.

3. If I can reinstall the contrib modules in the application schema, can I
delete the public schema or does it still need to be there and I would just
revoke all except for the superuser id which would be for our installer or
tech support if needed. We have a separate userid for the security
administrator. All of the functions that the security administrator needs
are provided by a application module and they will not be directly accessing
the database via a SQL utility at all.

Best Regards

--
Michael Gould, Managing Partner