deinstallation - reinstallation on Mac OS 10.4

From: Christoph Heibl <christoph(dot)heibl(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: deinstallation - reinstallation on Mac OS 10.4
Date: 2007-07-20 12:19:31
Lists: pgsql-admin
Dear experts,

I' ve been trying to mirror the harddisk of my old mac via firewire
on my new computer (Intel Core Duo, OS 10.4.10) which resulted fairly
well expect that my postgreSQL got screwed up. I then tried to
install it once more, but this failed. I guess I did not remove all
the remaining files before installation and I ended up with this
failure:

Christoph-Heibls-Computer:~/src/postgresql-8.2.4 Stoffi$ ./configure
[....]

Christoph-Heibls-Computer:~/src/postgresql-8.2.4 Stoffi$ make

[....]  All of PostgreSQL successfully made. Ready to install.

Christoph-Heibls-Computer:~/src/postgresql-8.2.4 Stoffi$ make install
make -C doc install
gzip -d -c ./postgres.tar.gz | ( cd /usr/local/pgsql/doc/html && /usr/
bin/tar xf - )
/usr/bin/tar: index.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: preface.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: intro-whatis.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: history.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: notation.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: resources.html: Cannot open: File exists
[....]
/usr/bin/tar: bookindex.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: LEGALNOTICE.html: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: stylesheet.css: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: Read 2560 bytes from -
/usr/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make: *** [install] Error 2

The files seem to exist already but I simply do not find them.

My questions:
Are there deinstallation protocols for Mac? (I was not able to find
any...)
How can I find and delete these files?
Or is it something else that hinders me from installing postgres?

I hope to hear from someone who can give me some hints - thanks a lot!

Christoph Heibl

Systematic Botany
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Menzinger Str. 67