Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?

From: "Alex Turner" <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Steve Atkins" <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-Performance ((E-mail))" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?
Date: 2006-06-13 02:26:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

Anyone who has tried x86-64 linux knows what a royal pain in the ass it
is. They didn't do anything sensible, like just make the whole OS 64 bit,
no, they had to split it up, and put 64-bit libs in a new directory /lib64.
This means that a great many applications don't know to check in there for
libs, and don't compile pleasantly, php is one among them. I forget what
others, it's been awhile now. Of course if you actualy want to use more
than 4gig RAM in a pleasant way, it's pretty much essential.

Alex.