Re: RAID Stripe size

From: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: bmmbn <miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAID Stripe size
Date: 2005-09-20 15:13:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have benched different sripe sizes with different file systems, and the
perfmance differences can be quite dramatic.

Theoreticaly a smaller stripe is better for OLTP as you can write more small
transactions independantly to more different disks more often than not, but
a large stripe size is good for Data warehousing as you are often doing very
large sequential reads, and a larger stripe size is going to exploit the
on-drive cache as you request larger single chunks from the disk at a time.

It also seems that different controllers are partial to different defaults
that can affect their performance, so I would suggest that testing this on
two different controller cards man be less than optimal.

I would also recommend looking at file system. For us JFS worked
signifcantly faster than resier for large read loads and large write loads,
so we chose JFS over ext3 and reiser.

I found that lower stripe sizes impacted performance badly as did overly
large stripe sizes.

Alex Turner
NetEconomist