Re: control pg_hba.conf via SQL

From: Agent M <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: control pg_hba.conf via SQL
Date: 2006-04-01 17:26:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Unfortunately, there is still one serious deficiency with the solution
below- it may not be the actual information postgresql is currently
using to determine who can log in and how- the file can be easily
changed behind the scenes and there is currently no way to know.

I (speaking as a DBA) would still very much appreciate a static, frozen
table view accessible from SQL.

On Mar 30, 2006, at 3:05 PM, David Fetter wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:43:31AM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> A.M. wrote:
>>> Could postgres offer at least a read-only view of the data in the
>>> interim? Ordering could be controlled by line number.
>>
>> You can get the contents as a single text field like this:
>>
>> | select pg_read_file|('pg_hba.conf', 0, 50*1024);
>>
>> Writing a plperl function that would strip comments and blank lines
>> and return the rest as a numbered set of lines would be fairly
>> trivial.
>
> You don't even need PL/Perl :)
>
> SELECT * FROM (
> SELECT