Re: connecting with libpq interface

From: Vincent Predoehl <vpredoehl(at)phoenixwebgroup(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: connecting with libpq interface
Date: 2008-07-11 20:20:48
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Jul 11, 2008, at 3:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vincent Predoehl <vpredoehl(at)phoenixwebgroup(dot)com> writes:
>> I am using libpqxx, which is built on libpq and it gives me this
>> detailed message, so I ran the above test program to determine if it
>> was libpqxx or libpq.  Apparently, libpq is not connecting for some
>> reason:
>
>> terminate called after throwing an instance of
>> 'pqxx::broken_connection'
>>    what():  could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>>          Is the server running locally and accepting
>>          connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/
>> postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> PQerrorMessage() should give you the same info in your standalone
> libpq program.

Yes it does:

could not connect to server: No such file or directory
         connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/
postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

> What I'd wonder is whether the postmaster is using that socket
> location
> or not.  The more common location is /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.  You might
> have
> a problem with having a copy of libpq that has a different default
> socket path compiled into it than the postmaster does.
>
> 			regards, tom lane

Do you know where can I find that in the source code?  I used the
8.3.3 source from postgresql.org.  I did use apt-get to install the
source, but I had trouble with the dev headers when I did that.  I
noticed some bin files in /usr/local/pgsql/bin hung around after
doing apt-get remove, but I'm pretty sure the install that is being
used is from the build/install of the 8.3.3 source.

--
Vincent