Re: [ODBC] linked tables in MS Access

From: Jiří Nouza <nouza(at)seznam(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] linked tables in MS Access
Date: 2007-01-23 10:21:58
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Oh, I'm still feeling like a BFU :(

I'm using the last one version of odbc driver (08_02_0200) on Windows XP, 2000. Access is 2000 and 2003.

Of course I had commlog and mylog turned on. But I've never thought that writing some kb (ok, few megabytes) of text could have such big affect :(
When I was trying common windows odbc trace the disk worked very hard but postgres log didn't make full use of hard disk.

It seems that turning off helps very well. Access work by now commonly fast.

8000 rows query is prosessed in 0.8 s, see log:
2007-01-23 00:01:42 odbcuser SELECT LOG: 00000: duration: 813.000 ms statement: select * from osoby
It could be adequate I suppose. Postgres is on laptop.

I will try to change "use declare/fetch" and "cache size" but it is hard to debug via mylog because it is unbelievable slow.

And try to convert Access file to 2003 version further.

Thank you very much I haven't to forget to check logging settings.

Jirka