error with functions

From: shyamperi(at)davlin(dot)co(dot)in
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: error with functions
Date: 2003-09-22 04:22:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

10:12a
Dear all,
This is about the same problem which I have been facing for the past one week and which I am unable to solve.
I have create a function which return +1 of the argument passed.
Function Definition:
CREATE FUNCTION add_one (integer) RETURNS INTEGER AS '
BEGIN
RETURN $1 + 1;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

The output it was giving was always 1, despite any argument ( not string's ofcourse)
When I viewed the function definition in the pg_proc table...

psql "select proname,prosrc from pg_proc where proname='add_one'"
proname | prosrc
---------+-------------------------------------------------------
add_one | BEGIN RETURN +1 END;
(1 row)
______________
Can any body tell me why is the $1 missing..
I am using running postgres 7.3.4 in linux envt
Have a grate day
-----
Warm Regards
Shÿam Peri