Scaling with lazy index updates

From: "Fred Moyer" <fred(at)redhotpenguin(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Scaling with lazy index updates
Date: 2004-07-17 03:30:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

Pg Performers,

This might be a out of the ordinary question, or perhaps I have been out
of the loop for a while but does PostgreSQL (or any other database) have
support for lazy index updates. What I mean by lazy index updates is
index updating which occur at a regular interval rather than per
transaction.

I have found that inserts and updates tend to slow down when the database
gets really big. I think it is likely an effect of updating indexes when
the insert or update occurs.

Looking forward to feedback and possibly direction on my lazy index update
question.

TIA,

Fred