Default Locale in initdb

From: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Default Locale in initdb
Date: 2004-06-02 17:54:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is it me or has the default locale of created databases change at some point?

Currently, on Linux, if one does not specify a locale, the locale is taken
from the system environment and it is not "C."

While I can both sides of a discussion, I think that choosing a "locale"
without one being specified is a bad idea, even if it is the locale of the
machine. The reason why it is a bad idea is that certain features of the
database which only work correctly with a locale of "C" will not work by
default.