Re: Killing dead index tuples before they get vacuumed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Killing dead index tuples before they get vacuumed
Date: 2002-05-22 21:56:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at> writes:
> So it looks save to use this bit for marking dead tuples. Wouldn't it
> be even possible to simply reset LP_USED instead of setting
> LP_DELETED?

Mmmm ... I don't think so. That would cause the tuple to actually
disappear from the perspective of the index AM internals, which seems
like a bad idea. (For example, if another backend had an indexscan
stopped on that same tuple, it would fail to re-find its place when it
tried to continue the indexscan.)

> Yet another idea: set ItemIdData.lp_len = 0 for killed index tuples.

See above. This is *not* a substitute for vacuuming.