To whom an SSL client crt (postgresql.crt) is issued

From: k(dot)p(dot)d(dot)lehre(at)medisin(dot)uio(dot)no
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: To whom an SSL client crt (postgresql.crt) is issued
Date: 2005-12-18 15:17:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Server: pg 8.0.4 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
Client: psql 8.0.4 on WinXP Pro SP2.
I have a (self-signed) root.crt on the server, and a
%APPDATA%\postgresql\postgresql.crt signed by that root.crt on the client.
I am surprised that it does not seem to matter to whom the postgresql.crt
is issued.
What I experience is not really contradictory to the docs: "... a client
certificate will be requested from the client during SSL connection
startup, and it must have been signed by one of the certificates present
in root.crt". The docs do not mention that the client crt has to be issued
to the user trying to log on. Isn't it a point TO WHOM the client crt is
issued? Is this the way it is meant to be?

Thanks, KP