Re: too many clients

From: Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Matthew Terenzio <webmaster(at)localnotion(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: too many clients
Date: 2004-12-29 17:21:20
Lists: pgsql-php
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:12:13 -0500, Matthew Terenzio
<webmaster(at)localnotion(dot)com> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2004, at 11:38 AM, Mitch Pirtle wrote:
>
> I don't exactly understand the technical difference between pooled
> connections and persistent ones.
>
> pg_pconnect() is grabbing an existing open connection if one is
> available.

It is, but I am told that it is not really very efficient, and so
pg_connect will actually give you better performance on heavy-load
sites.  Again, I've heard this but cannot substantiate.

> How is  a connection pool more efficient in doing something along these
> lines?

The pool is specifically designed to do just that - manage connections
and keep existing ones maintained - so it is lightweight and fast.
You can get more info here:

    http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/sqlrelay/faq.html

I've used it for Oracle-powered sites, as well as putting something
sane between zope/plone and both Oracle and MS SQL.

-- Mitch