Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org

From: Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>,pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org
Date: 2004-11-04 00:47:15
Lists: pgsql-www
php 4.3.9 has no issues that I am aware of, and I am running 20
different sites on it.  Some basic, some complex.  Faster mmcache
performance with shm turned off would tell me that something was wrong
however.  :-/

> I even grab'd a recursive directory script off of php.net, so taht I ran
> it thorugh php ... did a stat on all 28k files to get mtime (again, not
> reading in the whole file, only the meta data), but I was getting
> ~200files/sec off of that ...
>
> So, the only thing I can think of is a problem with Alexey's code, which
> he swears is impossible ... or a problem with mod_php4.3.9 itself ...
>
> I even drop'd the # of processes on that server by 1/2 this afternoon, and
> there is no noticeable improvement to Alexey's code ...

Hmm, is it possible to create a test script with a test schema, say
four or five tables that is portable?  That way we could run it on
several machines to get a comparison.  I have a couple SMP and
uniprocessor machines, all with 4.3.9 that I would happily run
benchmarks on.

-- Mitch