Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org

From: Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>,pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org
Date: 2004-11-03 21:59:09
Lists: pgsql-www
Hmm, seems to shave a second off of the results posted by Oleg.  Progress?

http://www.postgresql.org/index-test.php now reports a bunch of
pg_result errors, so I cannot comment there.

The thing that has my attention is the overall time reported by
Webperf for www.alexey.beta.postgresql.org.  I did the same tests on
www.spacemonkeylabs.com, and  receive timings 1/3rd, and this is a
stock Mambo 4/5/1a with mmcache disabled (something provided by Plesk7
conflicts so I cannot load it on this machine).  FWIW Mambo is all
OO-based PHP, with several external libraries and 5 different RSS
exports on the home page (something like 36 queries, the horror).

From here I don't know what to suspect - network, hardware, or
programming.  *grumblegrumble*

Marc, you say you got 15/30 set for apache, can you tell me how many
procs are currently running?

Also, is the new website using pconnect or connect?

-- Mitch, hopefully doing something useful finally ;-)