Re: [BUGS] Re: Sigh, LIKE indexing is *still* broken in foreign locales

From: Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Matthias Urlichs" <smurf(at)noris(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Moucha_V=E1clav_=3CMouchaV=40radiomobil=2Ecz=3E?=(at)noris(dot)de, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Re: Sigh, LIKE indexing is *still* broken in foreign locales
Date: 2000-06-08 07:57:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:53:25 +0200 "Matthias Urlichs" wrote:

> To find the position in the index where it should start scanning.

Hmm. That I guess is faster than locating the prefix given to LIKE in
the index and scanning back as well as forward.

> Personally, I am in the "store everything on the server in Unicode"
> camp. Let the parser convert everything to Unicode on the way in,
> and vice versa.

That would help the charater set problem, although there are people
that argue that Unicode is not acceptable for all languages. (I only
note this; I don't have an opinion.)

I don't see that using Unicode helps very much with collation though
-- surely collation must still be locale specific, and the problems
with two-pass algorithms, and two-to-one and one-to-two mappings are
unchanged?

Regards,

Giles