Re: psql \d* and system objects

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql \d* and system objects
Date: 2009-03-30 14:29:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> That still has the problem that "\df a*" is horribly inconsistent with
> "\df". It might be reasonable to assume that if a name without
> wildcards is given to any \d command, it should display whatever
> object it finds, user or system - but I can't see doing it for any
> wildcard at all.

Why not? Seems "horribly inconsistent" to me to treat those cases
differently.

It seems entirely explainable to me to say that "if you specify
no pattern, the default behavior is to list all non-system functions".
Where the patch went wrong is in fooling with the behavior when a
pattern is specified.