Re: psql and mysql

From: jcradock(at)me3(dot)com
To: "YL" <elim(at)pdtnetworks(dot)net>
Cc: "Psql_General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql and mysql
Date: 2005-04-02 23:15:49
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

A significant difference, and something that might be frustrating, is
listing databases and database objects and describing tables. To list
databases, type

\l

...and hit RETURN. To list tables in the database you've logged in to, type

\dt

If you've got some familiarity with MySQL then querying database objects
should be easy in PostgreSQL, altough PostgreSQL does obviously support
some features and thus some commands not available in MySQL. There will be
some learning there, possibly, but I think you'll find it easy. Type

\?

...and press RETURN to see the full set of options. I definitely recommend
reading the docs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/app-psql.html

Enjoy!

Jim