Re: Dual-CPU slower then Single under HP?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dual-CPU slower then Single under HP?
Date: 2001-06-06 18:00:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> The 4m:30s is running one process for 100K inserts ... with two
> CPUs/processes, it increases the time to process by almost 40% ... ?

Do you mean two processes inserting into the same table?

I committed some changes recently that reduce the amount of contention
involved in that scenario, but it's not released yet.

Another fairly likely issue is the not-very-good implementation of
spinlocks. We've talked about finding a way other than select() to
block on a spinlock, but no one's done anything about it yet...