Re: Vacuum analyze vs just Vacuum

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bryan White" <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum analyze vs just Vacuum
Date: 2000-05-28 15:45:22
Lists: pgsql-general
"Bryan White" <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com> writes:
> I would just like to check an assumption.  I "vacuum analyze" regularly.  I
> have always assumed that this did a plain vacuum in addition to gathering
> statistics.  Is this true?

Yes.  There are some poorly-worded places in the docs that make it sound
like they might be completely separate operations, but they're not.

I would like to split out ANALYZE as a separately-callable command at
some point, but we'll no doubt continue to offer the combined "vacuum
analyze" command, if only for backward-compatibility reasons...