Re: Shutdown TRUE?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Shutdown TRUE?
Date: 2001-09-20 19:52:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> When the server starts I see something like
> DEBUG:  redo record is at 0/146ED4; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE

> but what does "shutdown TRUE" mean?  It doesn't mean "I'm shutting down"
> nor "the last shutdown was successful", so it's not very obvious.

It means the latest checkpoint record in the WAL log has the shutdown bit
set, implying that there was an intentional shutdown.  This should be
redundant with the control-file-state-field info that's reported a line
or two earlier --- but I suppose it would be interesting for debugging
if it didn't agree.

Feel free to change the message wording...