Re: Show encoding in initdb messages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Show encoding in initdb messages
Date: 2004-06-21 16:03:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> But the answer space is infinite:

> $ LANG=C locale charmap
> ANSI_X3.4-1968

Right, the hard part is mapping whatever weird string "locale charmap"
chooses to return into one of the encodings our code knows about.

HPUX seems to be just arbitrarily bizarre:

$ LC_ALL=en_US.iso88591 locale charmap
"iso88591.cm"
$ LC_ALL=C.utf8 locale charmap
"utf8.cm"
$

As near as I can tell, the .cm is present in all the possible results;
and why the quotes?

> I suspect Japanese users will also have a problem with this mechanism,
> but at least we could keep -E to override the automatic selection.

Perhaps we could try to derive a setting from locale charmap, but barf
and require explicit -E if we can't recognize it?