Re: Installation of postgresql database as root

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: "Ali, Luqman" <luqman(dot)ali(at)sanmina-sci(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installation of postgresql database as root
Date: 2007-06-06 11:55:56
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Jun 6, 2007, at 12:20 AM, Ali, Luqman wrote:

> I have no aversion to installing it as root but getting root access
> from
> the sys admin would be a PITA. Company policy dictates that root
> access
> is given to as few people as possible and only if it is necessary.
> Hence, I needed to know if it is absolutely necessary to install as
> root. If there are enough justifications for that, I could revert back
> to my manager and get root access. If not, I can live with not having
> root access and doing things from the user account. I'm not too
> worried
> about any potential attackers having the user account as there
> would be
> enough safeguards for that.

No, it is not required to install as root. I believe the instructions
indicate using root because root access is generally required to put
binaries in the default install location. But you can install it
anywhere you like using the --prefix configure option.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL