Upgrade, Install, RPM

From: Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgrade, Install, RPM
Date: 2008-11-13 01:54:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

- I have PostgreSQL 7.4.19 on CentOS 4.7 with no databases I need to keep.
- PG was installed with CentOS in /var/lib/pgsql.
- I am the only local user but I have Apache running on the same machine and plan to have web pages extracting data from the database.

I'm considering upgrading PostgreSQL and have questions/am interested in opinions.

- Is version 8.3 compatible with CentOS 4 as it appears to be. (I have all requirements listed in paragraph 15.2 of the manual.)
- I like using RPMs to facilitate security updates (via yum) but the highest RPM version I found (on a quick search) is 8.2.3. It appears 8.3 improvements are largely performance improvements for high-volume transaction-processing situations, right?
- If I install from source, is there any reason not to install it in /usr/local/pgsql? Any reason not to install it in /var/lib/pgsql (or var/lib/pgslq8)?

Thanks for indulging,
Bruce