Re: beta testing version

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Naeslund\(f\)" <mag(at)fbab(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-11-30 02:25:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Magnus Naeslund\(f\)" <mag(at)fbab(dot)net> writes:
> Another other problem that is more severe is that the database "crashes"
> (read: stops working), if i run psql and do a select it says
> "001129.07:04:15.688 [25474] FATAL 1:  Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc()"
> and fails.

That's odd.  Does any select at all --- even, say, "SELECT 2+2" --- fail
like that, or just ones referencing a particular table, or maybe you
meant just one specific query?

> Another problem i have is that i get "001128.12:58:01.248 [23444] FATAL 1:
> Socket command type  unknown" in my logs. I don't know if i get that from
> the unix odbc driver, the remote windows odbc driver, or in unix standard db
> connections.

Do any of your client applications complain that they're being
disconnected on?  This might come from something not doing disconnection
cleanly, in which case the client probably wouldn't notice anything wrong.

> I get "pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection" alot too, but that i
> think only indicates that the socket was closed in a not-so-nice way, and
> that it is no "real" error.
> It seems that the psql windows odbc driver is generating this.

That message is quite harmless AFAIK, although it'd be nice to clean up
the ODBC driver so that it disconnects in the approved fashion.