Re: [pgsql-packagers] Getting to 8.3 beta1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-packagers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-packagers] Getting to 8.3 beta1
Date: 2007-09-28 16:21:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> struct Port has been modified and by my opinion it means we must bump
>> major version. See
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/include/libpq/libpq-be.h.diff?r1=1.62;r2=1.63

> That header file is *not* part of the libpq interface, see the comment
> at the beginning of the file. So no major version bump required.

Right, and even pqcomm.h (to which the comment refers) is material that
is known to libpq (and other implementors of the FE/BE protocol), but is
not exposed to client applications.

This comment in pqcomm.c might be helpful:

 * At one time, libpq was shared between frontend and backend, but now
 * the backend's "backend/libpq" is quite separate from "interfaces/libpq".
 * All that remains is similarities of names to trap the unwary...

The only material that is officially part of the libpq client API is
libpq-fe.h (and postgres_ext.h which it includes).  Anyone including
other headers does so at their own risk.