Re: split builtins.h to quote.h

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: split builtins.h to quote.h
Date: 2014-10-13 14:11:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Are you referring to the Datum quote_*(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS) that are
>> still let in builtins.h? That was let on purpose to let all the SQL
>> functions within builtins.h but I'd be happy to move everything to
>> quote.h to make the separation clearer.

> I agree with Robert on this one. builtins.h is really just a refuge
> for declaring SQL-level functions that have no other natural home.

Actually, on second thought I'm not so sure. What we've done in other
modules is to put SQL function declarations into builtins.h rather than
a module-specific header, because otherwise we'd have had to #include
fmgr.h in the module-specific header, and that did not seem like a win.

If there is some independent reason why quote.h needs to include fmgr.h
then we may as well move the SQL functions there too; but if not, I'd
just as soon keep down the amount of header inclusion needed.