User Authentication Problem

From: Bryan Brunton <bryan(at)flesherfab(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: User Authentication Problem
Date: 1998-08-11 17:56:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

I installed Postgres from RPMs from a RedHat site on to RH 5.0.

I didn't have the latest ncurses library and I had I had to do a --force
to get that to install.

I have user authentication turned off with the trust parameter in
pg_hba.conf.

I can connect fine from the local machine with pgsql to postgres user or
new users I have created. However, over IP, with ODBC and with pgaccess

(using the server's IP), I always get user authentication failure.
However with
the trust parameter, there should be no user authenitication being
attempted!

What's wrong here?

Please send reply to bryan(at)flesherfab(dot)com